Notorious B.I.G. Murder Case To Reopen
Nearly a decade after the Notorious B.I.G. was gunned down on the streets of Los Angeles, the crime is still an unsolved murder. However, the Los Angeles Police Department has assigned a new team of detectives to investigate the 1997 slaying of the 24-year-old rapper.
Assistant City Attorney Don Vincent told city council members on Thursday that the new team was assigned to revisit the case after the department was ordered to pay a $1.1 million judgment to Biggie’s family in January in a suit that alleged officers’ involvement in the killing.
Biggie’s family alleged in the suit that his murder was arranged by rogue LAPD officer David Mack on behalf of Death Row Records chief Marion “Suge” Knight, and that the department covered up Mack’s involvement. The case ended in a mistrial when police found previously undisclosed statements linking Mack to the killing, and the judge ruled that the evidence was deliberately concealed. A new trial could be scheduled later this year.
Vincent said the new investigative group is following up on leads in an effort to finally crack the case, but he said they haven’t found evidence of police involvement so far.